Popelei Theatre wants to hear more female stories. We want to help create space for female stories to be told and heard. We are opening a commission for performance-based work with narratives focused around women.
This opportunity is suitable for ideas and projects at the beginning of their creative life. We want to hear from any artists or collectives in need of collaborative artistic support and initial financial backing to help you move things forward.
We want ideas that are both brave and vulnerable. The work we commission will demand to be listened to, and will make audiences look at the world through a different lens.
What Popelei can offer:
• Seed commissions of up to £1000 towards research and development time and space in London or Bristol.
• Help organising an informal initial sharing of the work in front of an audience.
• Mentoring and advice.
• Creative support with script development, dramaturgy and workshopping ideas.
• Ongoing development. We are keen for commissions to form the beginning of ongoing creative collaborations between Popelei and other artists.
Apply with a 1 page document outlining:
• A brief outline of your project proposal and why it is important for you to tell this story.
• Brief background on your past work and artistic practice.
• Your ideal timeline.
Thank you to all the artists that applied. The Commission is now closed for 2018.
The 5 chosen projects for 2018 are:
Parisa: Citizen of the Islamic Republic of Iran (working title)
By Peyvand Sadeghian
The Tropic of Capricorn / Heretics (working title)
By Conway McDermott
By Mariana Aristizabal & Malena Arcucci
By Paula David
The Maroon Queen
By Ariane Barnes
Sign up to the monthly newsletter to stay up to date with Popelei news!